Sunday, April 29, 2007

RESPONSE TO COMMENT

In home schooling my son I hope to invest in my relationship with him as his father. That's probably my number one, 'what do i hope to get out of it'. Prior to home schooling we already spent a reasonable amount of daily time together, but I wanted a season where I was with him for the majority of the time. I went to the funeral of a friend's dad in October last year. All of the sons spoke very highly of their dad. One son spoke of the time his father was retrenched from work and by default ended up being home a lot. For the young son (I think he was about 14 at the time), this created a new found opportunity to spend extended times with his dad for which he was now so grateful for. That stirred me more to think about the legacy of memories and experiences I was giving my son and what opportunity I could create to invest in the relationship in a way that he (and I) will never forget.

But how will I cope if JT loves this approach and doesn't want to go back to conventional school? Good question. I guess the honest answer is 'i don't know'. I'm never one to write off possibilities and I wouldn't like to say that he is going back no matter what in 2008 - I can only say, 'that is the plan'. I do have other commitments beyond home school and I am able to balance those over the course of one year, but not sure if I could do that long term. That would need a fresh call and conviction at the end of the year! Thanks for your questions

No comments: